Thursday, January 18, 2007

She's a Little Hula Hula Baby

NOTE: I'VE EDITED THIS BLOG BECAUSE OF THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE EMAILED ME OVER THE LAST TWO YEARS ASKING FOR INFORMATION ON THE HULA BABY SONG. HERE IS A LINK TO ANOTHER BLOG I WROTE THAT HAS ALL I KNOW ABOUT THE HULA BABY SONG:
GO TO www.pressrepublican.com and scroll down to a feature called "Blog: On the Beaten Path." Click on that link and it will take you to the reporters' blog site. Scroll down to a blog written (by me) on July 1, 2008. It will tell you more about the Hula Baby song, and will tell you all I know about the Hula Baby song.

OTHER THAN WHAT I'VE WRITTEN THERE, I DON'T KNOW MUCH MORE ABOUT IT. THANKS FOR THE INTEREST. AND NOW, THE ORIGINAL BLOG ENTRY:
Margaret has another dance at school she's looking forward to on Friday and she's meeting Logan there. It's a very controlled atmosphere and the kids don't actually dance. They mostly jump around and stare at one another from across the room. It's junior high, afterall, but the air of possibility hangs in the atmosphere and that's the thing that worries parents of junior high students. Afterwards, Logan is going to come over to our house to watch a movie. His mom will come by to pick him up and if they're open to it, we'll invite them to stay for dinner. We'll see how this, the second "playdate" goes. Margaret is so excited, and she said Logan has told her he can't wait for Friday. He's a nice boy and I think he's happy to have her as a friend.

Brigid, meanwhile, isn't content to be held any more. She wants to go go go. She squirms and jackknifes herself out of your arms in an attempt to get to the floor. Her crawling is determined and it just gets her to something that she can use as a brace to help her to her feet. Her cruising is stronger; objects just serve as something to steady her so she can let go. She's taken a couple hard falls, but nothing that has produced any blood. Her footwork is getting better, too. She's also been a crankpuss lately and I think the fever she's been sprouting at night might have to do with her teeth. She's not navigated teething well -- she's been out of sorts for each one of her chompers -- so I'm not surprised that if her bottom teeth are getting set to erupt, she's cranky about it.

Yesterday at the girls' tap class, Brigid had to just crawl around the waiting room and would sit in the doorway to the studio. When the music was playing and the girls were all tap tap tapping, she would wave her arms up and down and clap to the beat. She was right on. I see Hula Babies in her future. I think it's a devious ploy by Miss Nancy to keep an unending supply of dance students coming her way -- get 'em when they're young and implant that tune in their heads from the start: "I'm a little hula hula baby, from the land of Waikiki. I can hula and I don't mean maybe. Come with me across the sea...."

UPDATED DECEMBER 2011: This topic has created 25 comments. I need to reiterate to anyone finding this for the first time since I wrote it five years ago: I do not have the song. I do not know who wrote it. It was a demo song the dance school teacher had from probably 60 years ago and still uses for her three-year-old students. She will not give it to me to share. That is all I know. Thank you for your interest and persistence.

41 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Blogger rebecca said...

I am searching for the song "I'm a little hula hula baby, from the land of Waikiki". DO you know who is the artisit and the title of the song? I have been searching with no luck for a couple weeks now. I would appreciate any info you have. Thanks Rebecca

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Brigid, Patricia and Margaret said...

I don't know but can find out because it's the song used at the dance recitals our girls have been in. How can we get in touch with you?

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger karen said...

I've been searching for this song for YEARS. I did this in a dance class at least 45 years ago. I have tought this to every little girl in my life. If you can be of help I would be estatic..Karen

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Hello,
I am also looking for this same some as rebecca. "hula hula baby" Myself and a fellow dance teacher are trying to find it adn well there is not much on the internet. If you know any more about it i would love any information you can give me.

thanks
melissa

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

I have been looking for information on the song "I'm a little hula hula baby, from the land of Waikiki" for a very long time. Do you know who sings it? I would appreciate any information you have on the song. Thank you.

Lindsey

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Brigid, Patricia and Margaret said...

To the posters who wanted information, I don't know the answer but would be happy to email it to you if you give me your email(s). It has to be 50 years old, but our dance teachers still use it for all the three-year-olds.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

I would appreciate any information on the song I'm a Hula Hila Baby.
My email address is lindziangel08@aol.com.
Thanks Lindsey

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger karen said...

any info on hula baby would be great! e-mail me @kborgmeier@ftcoa.com. Thanks Karen

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

I'd love the song info!
tightwad.leslie@gmail.com

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Geneen said...

If you happen to have the lyrics for this song and the artist, I've be forever grateful if you could e-mail them to me. geneen@aggienetwork.com

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I would love the info on the Hula Baby song also.

My email is jill@macdaddypopo.com .

THanks for your help.

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like info on the song "I'm a Little Hula Hula Baby" also! Please please! I had the original record and someone left it out to melt!
Thanks
martinje@chartermi.net

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am also looking for the information on this song. Please e-mail me at gracefulmoves@gmail.com

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger mary03 said...

I hope its not too late to get a copy of ths song or any info. I have been looking for it for about 5 years. Thanks

rftsad@aol.com

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Ann Peters said...

I hope it's not too late. i would love a copy. Please send to
annorcraig@gmail.com

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Julia Tinari said...

May I Have a copy of this song as well? The information? I grew up with this song. Thank You. Julia T.

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger NextStep said...

Me too please been looking for it everywhere Thank you!
hklhlkhhklhlkhll@yahoo.com

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger NextStep said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger aquanut said...

I was also a hula baby. I learned it from my mom about 55 years ago. We were just singing it together, but neither of us is very sure of the words or tune for that matter. I will be teaching my preschoolers the hula baby song as I recall it, but am wishing for the real words and tune. Can you assist me?

aquanut

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Gayla Busch said...

Oh, please! Do you have the info for Hula Babies song? Can you still get the recording? I was a hula baby a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago!!! Thanks so much!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger KWillett said...

Please send me the hula baby song. We are doing a multicultural show and this would be perfect
kwillett@austin.rr.com

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Dizzy Kate said...

I hope I am not too late in finding out where to get this song. I have the lyrics. We are having a fam. reunion in a week and I would love to teach the dance to the little girls. My email is

ktlayton@gmail.com

Thank you!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Staci said...

can you please email song info/actual song if you have it as mp3 to tanzteach@gmail.com? Thanks!!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Ada Foley said...

Hello!

I am a dance teacher from NJ and had been going nuts trying to find this song when I stumbled upon your site.

I lost my mother to cancer two months ago- she was an avid dancer like myself. From what my grandmother has told me and shown me in photos, her first recital was to "I'm just a little hula, hula baby". I would like to use it in rememberance of my mother at this year's recital...especially since this will be the first one without her in the audience.

If you could pass the artist's information on or even a copy of the file, I would be forever grateful.

Thank you in advance,

Ada Foley
MissAda@europeanschoolofdance.com

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Brigid, Patricia and Margaret said...

Again, to anyone looking for information, all I know is what is in my original blog. Please read it. It answers your question.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger B.T. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger B.T. said...

Please email the hula hula baby song to me too! Thank you SO much!!! arkhogball@gmail.com

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi I was wondering if you could email the hula hula baby song and info please! We have been on the search for this song for a while now! ncoleman_08@hotmail.com thank you so much!!!

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I would love the song!
dancingpickle@aol.com

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Okay....I know this is crazy, I don't know when all of these people were asking you for info. If you have the info, could you please post it on your blog? That way, people like me- the late bloomers- can get it without annoying you to send a personal email.

I would appreciate it very much if you could please do that. Thank you! Have a wonderful day.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Okay....I know this is crazy, I don't know when all of these people were asking you for info. If you have the info, could you please post it on your blog? That way, people like me- the late bloomers- can get it without annoying you to send a personal email.

I would appreciate it very much if you could please do that. Thank you! Have a wonderful day.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Trisha Ashley said...

I am a hula teacher in california and have also been trying to find this song.can you email me at renee418@msn.com

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Trisha Ashley said...

I am a hula teacher in california and have also been trying to find this song.can you email me at renee418@msn.com

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was wondering if you could please email me the song I'm a little hula hula baby. I am having a really hard time finding it anywhere! brandijensen7@gmail.com. Thank you.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

We are learning about USA and the different kinds of music from the USA. I am interested in having my preschool graduate girls dance to "I'm a little hula hula baby" song in our recital at the end of the school year. Please send me a copy via email to me at natasha.hong@choochoomontessori.com. Thanks much!

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Can you please email me a copy of the Hula Baby song. I have been trying to find this everywhere, thanks
Mdhaun99@yahoo.com

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger DanceTeacher said...

Did anyone ever find out the name of the singer and where I can purchase a copy of "I am a Little Hula Hula Baby"? Thanks!

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have a version if it. I can email it to you if you send me your email. Thanks, mary

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

my email is rftsad@aol.com

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger jen mart said...

My email is martinje@chartermi.net

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger C said...

Please email me cpruger@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home