Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Food for Thought

This baby must be going through a growth spurt because she's insatiable. The last few days she's been chowing down on everything and everyone. Daddy fed her huge meals yesterday for breakfast and lunch, and at dinner she even started gnawing on the side of the table in between spoonfuls. She also bit the flower right off the center of my bra the other night when she was going to nurse. This kid is hungry. I'll have to look at the book to see if nine months is a milestone month for growth. Speaking of nine months, today is Brigid's nine-month birthday. It's hard to believe that our Baby B is the same age as the number of months it took to make her. Last night I was playing with her on the floor and she was cruising from the gate to the couch to the pack 'n' play before crouching down and sitting gently on her bottom. Then she'd crawl, and I'd crawl behind her, and she understood that I was following her. She started laughing very hard and started to crawl faster to get away. I took chase and was right behind the whole time. She laughed and laughed. It was very funny.

Brigid continues to make connections between words and objects. We know she knows what her cow is, and she knows what the kitties are, even saying KeeKee for kitty when one of the cats walks by. She knows "shoe" and she knows the shoe doesn't go on Mommy's nose, or head or chin or whatever. This is an unending source of comedy between Mommy and baby. She knows her toes and she continues to know the lines from several of her books. If you recite passages of Barnyard Dance or Horns to Toes, she knows which book they come from.

I've started some basic signs with her to communicate, something I never really did with the other two. I use the sign for drink and ask, "Do you want a drink?" and the sign for more if I ask "Do you want more?" I've signed eat and a few others. The idea, they say, is consistency, so I'm going to give it a try. They say you can also develop your own signs, which I suppose we did with the other two (All Dee was "All Done" for Patricia, and she would hold her palms upwards, so we do that one with Brigid, too).

We're hoping to move the crib into the other room soon (yeah, I've posted this before), so perhaps Brigid's nighttime noshing will also be All Dee. Time will tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home