Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Taken On Face Value it Was a Pretty Hard Fall

Our Baby B had a face plant yesterday that was second to none so far and it took me a long time to calm her down. She was crawling around the living room, which we've now equipped with a gate across the entrance to the TV area. The playpen serves as another barrier and it was to this structure that she was crawling. She started to pull herself up on the outer mesh of the pen and began to slide her hand to the corner support post of the pen when she slipped and came down, hitting her face on the post. It hit her square down the middle of her face from forehead to jaw. I was right next to her, sitting on the floor, and I couldn't prevent it. Her cries were so high-pitched, I knew this wasn't just a boo-boo kind of cry. I tried comforting her, but she kept pushing away as I held her. Finally I realized she wanted real comfort, so out popped the boob and she settled down to a fitful nursing session, wimpering on and off until, like a jack-in-the-box, she popped her head back up and was all smiles again. The medical community could take a page or two out of Brigid's book. All they need is to find some lactating women who will serve as their beck-and-call girls. Nursing soothes the savage, breast.

Brigid's trauma was soothed sans medical intervention, but Margaret has been experiencing some symptoms of a UTI, so we went to Dr. Chaskey's office for a urine test and sure enough, it came back positive for bateria. She's on a sulfa drug, which I had to fill at the pharmacy across from their dance class since the appointment was just before they had to be at jazz class. Dr. Chaskey said he didn't have any samples in the office that she wasn't allergic to. I hope this drug isn't among them, too. I'm allergic to sulfa drugs, so I'll be keeping a close eye on her for hives. As a result of the impromptu visit to Chaskey's office, the girls, including Nicole, had little time at the house to do homework. I had them bring their homework to the doctor's office where they were able to finish it while we waited the results of Margaret's culture. Then we hightailed it to the pharmacy and then across the street to jazz class. After jazz class, we picked up the prescription then home for dinner. Brigid was in a good mood through most of this, having spent most of the jazz class crawling around the floor of the waiting room. She then settled down for a nursing session that led to a nice, long nap.

I think she may be working on top teeth because the drool quotient is up considerably and her gums look pretty squishy. And she's been mouthing her hand a lot more AND is very restless at night. Last night she was up a lot. I had a hard time getting up this morning, but I left her sleeping like, well, like a baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home