Monday, September 18, 2006

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Grateful Words

Forgetting to give Margaret her school picture order envelope and money is just the kind of thing to send her into a tailspin. Frantic phone calls home after her homeroom went unanswered because I just couldn't hear the phone ringing in the other room, but I finally got the message that she needed the money and order form so I brought both over to school on my way to work. The Fort Knox-like building was opened for me by the "juvenile officer" -- that is, a police officer who works with juveniles, not one who is in fact a juvenile -- because he was heading in at the same time I was. Good thing I'm not a subversive. The office was abuzz with activity, and when I was finally able to tell the woman what brought me to their hallowed halls, she wrote Margaret's name on a list with a dozen other names. Apparently, I'm not the only slack-off on school-picture day. She then made an announcement, calling all the names on her list to have them report to the office. Margaret had just come from gym and was heading to math, which is the class from which kids would be called to have their pictures taken. I guess math class produces neater-looking subjects. Moments later, Margaret was standing in the office with a huge grin, a grateful smile from a relieved sixth-grader to her overly proud mom. I had to resist the urge to re-comb her hair. What the heck... this is sixth grade.

Patricia begins chorus this afternoon, so I'll be happy to hear the report after school. It is also the girls' first day of jazz class, so we'll be busy on Mondays. Tap starts on Wednesday. It's that time of year.

And Baby B was in a happy mood as of 1:45 today when I spoke to Jenny. I called her on the phone and asked if the crying maniac was there. Jenny said, "Can you hear her?" I thought she was testing me or my hearing had gone from my left ear. But no, I couldn't hear her. "That's because she fell alseep on our walk and woke up in a good mood," Jenny said. "I don't want to jinx it." I left it at that. BB did have a fitfull night again, thrashing and crying and snacking throughout. It may be a growth spurt or just more of the same. But this popping up as soon as she's placed on a foreign surface -- whether her bed or ours -- after falling asleep is for the birds. She's not getting nearly enough sleep. You would think that would make it easier to get her to sleep at night, but sleep in the baby world doesn't work that way. It just makes for a crankier kid. Daddy had a good morning with her, however, and now Jenny's good experience. Could this be the start of something new? We'll hold our collective breath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home