Thursday, August 24, 2006

Five Months is Really Too Early For This

I walked in the house yesterday afternoon after work and Jenny was holding Baby Brigid Girl and Margaret and Patricia were hooting it up wildly, yelling for me to come in and see this. I came in and saw it. Baby B. crawled a few feet, stopped, swiveled her hips and sat with a perfectly straight back on her own hind end with no tri-pod support from her hands. She's sitting on her own. From there, she can twist herself into the position to take off once again in a crawl and then head out. She did it over and over, so this was no fluke. Jenny said she walked in and found her yesterday sitting up in the crib after a nap (of all of 20 minutes). Jenny said she thought it might be one of those brief moments before slumping over, so she walked by but when she returned a minute later, BB was still sitting there, looking pretty self-satisfied. She's just too darn young to be doing this stuff.

On the other hand, the bedroom move continues to be a challenge. We're on Day Three of Mommy and Daddy Held Hostage. BB just does not want to go down to sleep for the night in her crib. Of course, the boob isn't readily available to her when she rolls over in the crib, either. Last night she slept happily between Daddy and Mommy, crumbling on and off enough to make Mommy feed her so Mommy could get some sleep. What a racket. If I thought all I had to do to get some food shoved at me was grumble and roll around a lot, I'd have done that years ago. But Jenny has had luck with putting her down to sleep for a nap in the afternoon in the crib, even if it's only 20 min. at a time. For the time being, I think I'm just too lazy to be firmer.

We're on vacation after I get out of work on Friday so Jack and I head up to the lake with BB. Margaret and Patricia are there already, having headed up after dinner with Grandma and Granddad Downs last night. When they're at the lake, Grandma keeps them on a pretty rigid schedule: up in time to have breakfast, then out to the riding ring for a lesson, Then lunch, maybe swimming after. Of course, now that it's August, it's getting cold. I'm afraid the summer is waning. I saw leaves had changed on trees today. Ugh. So much for the dog days of summer. Tomorrow morning, the college president hosts his annual welcome breakfast (donuts and coffe) for the faculty because classes start on the 28th. We used to get a real breakfast, but this is the state and what with budget problems, eggs and bagels are too pricy. I think we get donut holes now. Jack says I'm just a whinny state bureaucrat. Maybe so, but what does it say about your worth when you go from hot eggs and bacon to cold, stale donut holes?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home