Thursday, September 07, 2006

Sometimes Letting Go is Watching from a Distance

Yesterday was the first day of school for Margaret and Patricia in the City School District. It had the potential to be so traumatizing, if not for the girls than for me, that I took the day off from work. I worked out a system where I would drive Margaret to a parking area just north of the entrance to the school so as not to get tied up in the circus that is the morning and afternoon drop-off at Stafford Middle School. She got out of the car and in typical "Stiff-upper-lip-but-nonetheless-terrified" style, she was about to head off to the unknown and untested. But just then, Master David Boise and his wife, Leisa, came walking up the sidewalk and welcomed Margaret into their entourage so she had someone to walk in with.

Kim came over with Nicole to the house after that and they, along with Jack, Baby Brigid in the Sling-Ezee, Patricia, and I walked to Oak Street School for their 8:15 a.m. start. Nicole and Patricia have been buddies since before kindergarten when they met at dance school. They're not in the same fourth-grade class, but they're going to walk to school together. We arrived at the appointed door and hung out until it was time for the kids to file in. But Patricia seemed so together, we could have easily been sitting at home in the kitchen rather than hanging out waiting there with her. She was so excited and happy. She connected with a few friends from Brownies days who are in her class and another friend from St. Peter's days. The bell rang, they went into the building and that was that. Kim, Jack, Baby B and I were left to walk back home on our own.

This is Going to Hurt You More than Me
The other reason I took the day off yesterday was that Baby Brigid had her sixth-month checkup with Dr. Chaskey and was scheduled to get her shots. I wanted to make sure I was there with her during and after in case she wasn't herself. I have a hard time seeing the babies get their shots ... it makes me cry. And it made her cry, too. As I waited for the nurse, I started to nurse and Baby B fell asleep. When the nurse came in with the shots, I had to pull her from the boob and lay her down on the table. The nurse gave her one shot in one fat cherubic leg and another shot in the other. Brigid began to wail, so the nurse said I could nurse her again, which I did, and she immediately stopped crying (you can't do both with your mouth full). But then I had to get her dressed, so she started crying again. Poor little pokey fell asleep in the car after on our way out.

After grabbing lunch with Michelle, I went to pick up Patricia at school and then we headed over to our pre-arranged pick-up spot for Margaret, who gets out 15 minutes after Patricia. Jack walked over from the Press to greet her, too, which was wonderful. And after 15 minutes of us worrying that she wouldn't remember where I was going to pick her up, or of her standing at the front doors waiting for us while we waited a block away, there she was, walking along with her backpack, looking a little bewildered but unscathed. I got out of the car and gave her a big hug, as did her Dad. We were so proud. I mean really proud. She had a good day, she said. There was true relief in her voice. Both girls did so well considering a month and a half ago they were going to be going to Seton Academy. Margaret spent the afternoon doing her homework (not much on the first day) and arranging her binder. Patricia had some paperwork for me to sign, but other than that it was a easy afternoon.

Brigid was a little unsettled because of the shots last night. But considering all three of my girls had the potential to have a disasterous day, it was a victory all around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home