Tuesday, September 19, 2006

BetterThan A Washing Machine

I always read about the sleep-inducing power of "white noise" for babies but thought that meant you had to put the car seat on top of the washing machine in order to get your kid to sleep. Since we can't drag the washing machine up into our bedroom, Jack instead decided to plug in the fan to see if it helps Baby Brigid drop off easier. I'm not sure if it was the fan, but Brigid did have an easier time of it last night. I know Jack sure did. He slept like a rock, which is a whole lot different than the last few nights where we've all been up multiple times. BB didn't wake as much, wasn't as fitful and didn't snack as often. She may have stirred about 4 or so and then dropped back off until about 6 and then again until about 8 a.m. Not bad. Now if I could only get rid of my stiff neck and sore arms, stiff and sore because of the contortions I put myself in so I can nurse and lie down at the same time. It's the only way I can get some sleep, too

Baby B is getting stronger and stronger on her feet. Just in the last couple of days, from when she first pulled herself up so self-satisfied, to last night when she was really using her center of gravity with more confidence, it's been amazing.There's no holding her down. She wants to be upright like her fellow Homosapiens. She's had enough of this crawling, hunched-over mode of transportation. The fact that she's only six months old shouldn't come into play. I still credit her ape-like toes for her uncanny ability to support her weight on her chubby feet. She digs them into the carpeting (or your lap or your hip or the fleshy part of your waist) and that gives her a good foot-hold, so to speak. She still has missteps. For instance, she'll pull herself up to her feet but doesn't realize she has to stand on both of them simultaneously. She'll stand with one foot on top of the other, like she's getting ready to do the crane stance in karate. But she's getting better and better with each pull-up.

Last night, she was wearing her polo dress (thank you Auntie Shell) but it interfered with her crawling. She would crawl and sit, crawl and sit, crawl and sit, crawl and si but she never got anywhere because she essentially moved in a square. It's like only being able to make left turns.

Margaret and Patricia thoroughly enjoyed jazz class yesterday with Miss Susan. I knew they would. They came home and showed me some of the moves they learned. It's great exercise, but I'd never tell them that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home