Friday, March 23, 2007

When I Wave My Arms Around, it Means I Want to Dance

Brigid's new high chair and jogger arrived in the mail the other day and Daddy put the chair together yesterday. It's a pink beauty by Peg Perego. High class all the way, and Brigid looks very cute sitting in it. The jogger hasn't been so far removed from the box, but with temps in the 40s this week, Daddy may very well put it together so he can take the BB out for her first jaunt. (with Daddy's back and leg problems, it may be more like a slow fast walk). It has a lot of features, including something he can use his MP3 player with.

Brigid has begun to demand we read her certain books. She was asking for something this morning, and I began hold up various toys and books and she kept wiggling her fingers with her arm outstretched in her "I want" stance until I'd come upon a book she wanted. Then she would eagerly climb up on my lap and I'd read, or try to read, until she got bored and climbed down to start it all over again. I've been reading a book the other two liked when they were babies, "Peek-aboo" and she really likes it. Sometimes I'm even able to get to the end of it. But she really does like the idea of crawling up in your lap for you to read to her.

Also this morning, she was waving her arms around and bending at the knee, kind of crying until I figured out she wanted me to put on her John Lithgow "Singing in the Bathtub" CD to sing and dance to. I had been saying the lyrics to one of the songs on it and she decided she wanted me to play it. Once I figured it out and hit "Play" she started dancing and waving her arms around. She is really beginning to get her point across. We just have to be more receptive to figuring out what it is she's trying to say.

One thing she is able to do, however, is register her dislike for something you are doing or something you aren't doing. She gets angry if you don't give her what she wants or take away something she has. Diversion, I have found, works very well. But then, isn't that true for all of us?

2 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger Jack said...

"When I wave my arms around, it means I want to dance," and when i growl and bite mommy it means I've turned into a little cannibal ... which is what she did Friday. Obviously, she's taking after her mother, who we all know is a "wicked, wicked little girl."

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Brigid, Patricia and Margaret said...

LOL. She did. She bit me, on the hand because I didn't do what she wanted. (and I was a wicked, wicked little girl, or so Mrs. Dewitt thought in first grade.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home