Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Gratitude and Relief

Baby Brigid woke up tonight about midnight in the middle of election coverage. As I rocked her back to sleep, I said a prayer of thanks and gratitude that she will never know a time when a black man had no hope of being elected to the presidency of the United States. I said a prayer of thanks that Margaret and Patricia will know the significance that this moment in time has in the history of our country. I’m thankful that my girls will grow up in a country that, at least for the next four years, has a leader who puts people first, who truly believes that the middle class is the backbone of this nation and the wealthiest among us don’t deserve the breaks they’ve received at the expense of those who helped make them wealthy.

I am thankful they will have a leader who will not jeopardize their constitutional rights when appointments are made to the Supreme Court and who believes every American – regardless of his or her affiliation, orientation or belief system – is deserving of the dignity that comes with being a human being living on this planet, a planet he has pledged to help protect. I am thankful my daughters will grow up knowing a leader who will put an end to this senseless and unjustifiable war in Iraq and bring our troops home, a leader who opposed it from the onset. They will see dignity restored to the White House and integrity and intelligence restored to the office. I am thankful we won’t have to wince every time our president opens his mouth to speak.

But above all, I am thankful and grateful our country, by an overwhelming majority, said no more of the same and opened its mind to infinite possibilities. For the first time in a long time, I have hope in my heart and for that, for my girls, for my husband, my family and friends and country, I am grateful.

1 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Blogger Oh Scrap!! said...

Amen my friend!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home