Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Lobstah, Chowdah and Cape Cod, Oh My!

We're heading to the Cape for our recharge. Leave for Hyannis on Friday, arrive in Orleans on Saturday. Can't wait to breathe the Cape air and feel the ocean on my skin. It's all Brigid has talked about for weeks, "Goin' to Cape Cod to stay in the college (cottage)."

Speaking of Brigid, this kid has had a huge growth spurt, both physically and mentally. She's growing out of her 5s and 5Ts -- getting taller -- and her conversation has changed to that of a kid. A true, nearly-old-enough-for-kindergarten kid. She still has a year and a half to go (thank God) but she's just a kid now. Her scream fests and tantrums have even seemed to take a downturn, although now that I've said that, I'm sure that's all we'll have for the next week and a half.

Last year at this time, she was still in diapers. She switched to the potty a week after we returned from the Cape. Now she's all about being a big girl, unless it's something that she wants to do that she used to do when she was younger. Then she says she's a "big/little girl."

Margaret and Patricia are working on the crew for this summer's Summer Safari production -- "Willy Wonka Jr." Because the last week of Summer Safari is while we're on the Cape, they volunteered to help with sets and costumes so they could be involved. They love it, and they would much rather be up on stage, but it keeps their hand in it. And it gives them something productive to do each day until lunch time. More productive than watching old episodes of "Bones" on the computer, which is what Margaret has been doing day in, day out. It's bordering on the obsessive.

I'm hoping she's near the end of the episodes, because when we get back from vacation, I'll be dropping the curtain on that. But by then, summer will be on a slippery slope with much to do. We'll have back-to-school shopping, a visit from my friend, Kathleen, and her daughter, Sydney, possible visit to Clayton to visit with our friends Beth and Scott, and then I'm taking the last days of August/first days of September off before I have another surgery on my left wrist. I am going in for the bone-shortening surgery (here is the best description of what I have/what I'll have done that I found online: http://www.pncl.co.uk/~belcher/information/Ulnar%20osteotomy.pdf)

I'll have a cast for six weeks, will be out at least 10 days (I go in for my follow-up appointment 10 days after surgery). It no doubt will be worse than the recovery I had for the debridement of the cartilage in January, but the pain hasn't gotten any better. In fact, it is worse at times. All this will be done in time for the girls to go back to school. Don't want to blink, because it will be here before I know it.

But for now, we have the welcoming shores of Cape Cod to look forward to. Photos to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home